ABOUT US

THE INTROUDCTION OF THE GAME OF GOLF IN KATHMANDU ACTUALLY DATES BACK TO 1917. THE RANA PRIME MINISTER OF THE TIME RETURNED FORM SCOTLAND CARRYING SOME GOLF CLUBS OBVIOULSY BITTERN THEN BY THIS NEW GAME. THE PRESENT TRIBHUVAN INTERNATION AIRPORT THEN KNOWN AS “ GAUCHARAN “ ( WHICH REALLY MEANS GRAZING GROUND FOR THE COWS) WAS THE FIRST GOLF COURSE IN NEPAL. IT IS BELIEVED THAT IT WAS A 36 HOLE GOLF COURSE WITH SAND AND OIL BASED GREENS (SO CALLED “BROWNS”). IN THOSE DAYS ONLY THE GENERALS, THE LIKES OF GEN BRAMA SHAMSHER JUNGA BAHADUR RANA AND GEN LAVA SJB RANA AND THEIR ENTOURAGE. GENERAL KAISER SJB RANA HAD SPONSORED A CUP WHICH WAS WON BY GEN. LAVA SAMSHER RANA. THE FIRST CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP WAS PLAYED IN 1927 WHICH WAS WON BY BRAMHA SJB RANA.

CLUB HISTORY

GENERAL LAVE SJB RANA FIRST STARTED THE “LAVA” CUP IN 1927.

DONATED THE CUP IN 1929 AS A FARE-WELLTROPHY.

THE OLDEST TROPHY HELD AT THE RNGC IS DATED 12 APR 1929 PRESENTED BY LT.GEN. KAISER. THE TOURNAMENT WAS HELD AT THE GAUCHAR GOLF COURSE.

AROUND 1955 THE GOLF COURSE AT GAUCHARAN WAS SHORTENED ONCE AIRPLANES STARTED LANDING IN KATHMANDU AS THE RUNAWAY OCCUPIED HALF OF ITS LAND DURING THOSE DAYS EVEN (HM THE KING TRIBHUWAN) AND THE ROYAL FAMILY MEMBERS PLAYED GOLF THERE OCCASIONALLY. LATER PRINCE BASUNDHARA BECAME A VERY KEEN GOLFER. IT WAS IN THE LATE 50s GENERAL KIRAN SHUMSHER REESTABLISHED THE SAME COURSE BY NAMING IT “GAUCHAR GOLF CLUB”

ON 5TH SEP 1965 THE GAUCHAR GOLF CLUB RECEIVED ROYAL PATRONAGE FROM HM KING MHENDRA. THE CLUB WAS INAUGURATED AND SINCE THEN IT CAME KNOWN AS ROYAL NEPAL GOLF CLUB (RNGC). HIS MAJESTY’S BROTHER PRINCE BASUNDHARA BECAME THE PRESIDENT, THE POSITION HE HELD UNTIL 1978. THE GOLFERS IN THOSE DAYS WERE MOSTLY EXPATRIATES, DIPLOMATS AND FROM THE ROYAL FAMILIES OF RANAS AND SHAHS.

IN 1982 THE CIVIL AVIATION COCCUPIED THE LAND WHERE RNGC EXISTED TO EXPAND THE ARIPORT. SO FOR OVER A YEAR THERE WAS NO GOLF COURSE IN THE KATHMANDU VALLEY. THE ONLY COURSE IN EXISTENCE WAS IN THE FAR EAST OF NEPAL AT DHARAN WERE THE BRITISH ARMY HAD THEIR RECRUITING DEPOT.

IN 1983 RNGC WAS REVIVED BY CREATING JUST SIX PAR THREE COURSE ON THE “ HOLY LAND “ AT TILGANGA BELONGING TO THE FAMOUSE PASHUPATI TEMPLE TRUST. THE GOLFERS HAD TO GO AROUND THRICE TO COMLETE THE MANDATORY 18 HOLE. IT WAS ONLY IN 1986 THAT RNGC MANAGED TO LEASE MORE LAND FROM THE CIVIL AVIATION NEPAL AND CREATED PROPER SEVEN MORE PAR 4s AND 5s PAR WITH JUST TWO PAR 3s IN THE “HOLY LAND” THIS IS WHAT YOU SEE AT THE MOMENT, A NINE HOLE ROYAL NEPAL GOLF COURSE (RNGC).THE FIRST “GREEN” WAS INTRODUCED IN THE MID – mind`s. THE GREENS AT THE CLUB WAS INTRODUCED BY MR. MANINDRA RAJ SHRESTHA WHEN HE WAS PRESIDENT.

FIRST INTERNATIONAL INVITATION TOURNAMENT ( PRO – AM )HELD IN 1993 SPONSORED BY SURYA NEPAL AND ONLY ONE NEPALI PROFESSIONAL DEEPAK MAGAR PLAYED IN EVENT AND FINISHED ( 6 ) SIX PLACE

TESTIMONIALS


About RNGC

The first golf course in Nepal was the Gauchar Golf Course, in Gaucharan, established by General Kiran Shumsher in 1917, after observing the sport in Scotland. This is the first GOLF course in Nepal.

Get In Touch

Tilganga, Kathmandu, Nepal.

+977-1-4494247 / 4472836

+977-981067935

rngc@mail.com.np

www.royalnepalgolf.club

Join Our Club

Developed by sujan.maharjan@engineer.com

Copyright © 2019. Royal Nepal Golf Club

Search